August 29–September 26
Beach Chalet Soccer Fields
The Fog is hosting a five-week series of training practices for new players to learn the fundamentals of rugby. Here's what you'll learn:
- 8/29 — Passing & Catching
- 9/5 — Offensive Positioning and Support
- 9/12 — Tackling*
- 9/19 — Rucking*
- 9/26 — A Full Review of Rugby Fundamentals*
* Starting with our Tackling practice, you will need a mouthguard. We recommend something simple to start — you can find a cheap strapless mouthguard for $5-10 on Amazon or in any sporting goods store.
What to Bring
- Yourself, and maybe a friend!
- Workout clothes — sneakers, gym shorts, an old t-shirt — that you won't mind getting roughed up/torn
- A water bottle
- A mouthguard (required for the last 3 practices)
- Also nice: a sweatshirt (the Fog practices in the Fog, and it can get chilly)
You do not need rugby-specific clothing (shorts, jerseys, rugby pads) or rugby boots (cleats). Sneakers with good traction and gym clothes are perfect.
You are welcome to wear supportive joint wraps if you need them, so long as they are fully soft (neoprene or cloth) — no hard supports or plastic buckles!
A note about rugby boots... don't buy rugby boots or cleats until you're sure you enjoy the sport. You do not need rugby-specific footwear to play rugby. If you have cleats from a similar sport (soccer, football, lacrosse), you're welcome to wear those and they will work well. You may not wear baseball-style cleats (flat metal blades). If you're looking to buy some cheap cleats for practice or matches, check out Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx or similar — they regularly have football or soccer cleats for $20 or so.
For more info on the do's and dont's of rugby gear, here's a guide from USA Rugby.
When and Where
Practices are scheduled from 8PM-10PM on Tuesday nights at:
Beach Chalet Soccer Fields in Golden Gate Park
1500 John F Kennedy Dr
San Francisco, CA 94122
Practices will start promptly at 8PM, so arrive a bit early to give yourself time to get ready. We may not use the full time, but expect to be there until 10. Parking, restrooms, and water are available at the field.
August 22, 2017
SF LGBT Center
If you missed the Info Session but would still like to join, no problem! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or come to one of the practices listed above.
The first session of Pathway to Rugby is a "chalk talk"/classroom info session where you will have an introduction to some of the fundamentals of rugby. You will also meet the coaches and some of the players, and learn the basics of what it means to play for the San Francisco Fog.
Session 1 for 2017 will be held on August 22nd from 6:45pm–8:45pm at the San Francisco LGBT Center, 1800 Market St., San Francisco, CA, 94102. The session will be held in the Red Room on the second floor of the center.